[CentOS-devel] enhancing /etc/*-release

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Mar 31 23:39:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 10:33:37PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 03/31/2015 10:00 PM, Howard Johnson wrote:
> >

> > On 31/03/2015 21:53, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> >> what tools are these / can we reach out and help them get the right
> >> content ? this solves the problem of establishing an upstream, giving
> >> people who only need a lose knit baseline match and also giving people
> >> the centos-7 release stream that we've been building up. At the time
> >> of 7 1406 release, this was flagged up as the biggest issue that we
> >> need to fix from the distro side of things.
> >
> > Hmm, ok.  Can we put that data somewhere else instead (an
> > /etc/redhat-upstream-release file or something) and revert the
> > redhat-release change?  We can't expect everyone to run around updating
> > their system management tools for a change in a minor point release :(

another less-than-optimal solution would be for app developers to
start using lsb_release to find out what distro and release they
are installing onto. of course, that's a different problem, in more
than one way, at least one of which is that lsb_release is not installed
by default.

I'm switching the app installer for the program I maintain (at work)
to use lsb_release just because it's so much easier than  groping
/etc/redhat-release.

                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."