[CentOS-devel] moving from gitorious

Fabian Arrotin

arrfab at centos.org
Sat Mar 7 13:27:16 UTC 2015

On 06/03/15 20:57, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On 03/06/2015 07:21 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> On 03/05/2015 09:26 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
>>> I'll give a +0 explained this way:
>>>
>>> There is a risk with using GitHub's services under a few
>>> conditions:
>>>
>>> * We get reliant on the proprietary workflow software. * We
>>> allow it to become a canonical source. * Our use of the service
>>> is seen as tacit or explicit support of their company or model
>>> of working with open source software.
>
>> as we move from gitorious.org, so we can move from github should
>> there be a need.
>
> Thanks, yes, that's the gist of it.
>
> I appreciate greatly that everyone here understands the value of
> open source and avoiding lock-in and such. I'll often make a point
> about such things just to "wave the flag" so to speak -- make a
> clear point in the public record about our stance on freedom, etc.
> So if people say, in this example, "Look, CentOS Project is
> embracing GitHub," we have a discussion thread to point to.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Karsten

Hi Karsten,

Yeah, and the reason why we used Gitorious instead of GitHub in the
past, for the t_functional git repo, was the fact that the underlying
platform/tool behind gitorious was open-source, while github isn't.

Now that Gitorious is shutting down, and that in the meantime we have
several git repositories hosted under github.com/CentOS, all those
facts lead me to the simple conclusion that hosting now t_functional
under Github.com/CentOS makes just sense. (and it seems collaboration
on github is easy, as we got several PR on those git repositories,
while very few on gitorious, probably because almost everybody had an
account on github, but not on gitorious)

Now, a longer debate around "do we have to move from Github to
something else" is then another debate, but wider than the
"t_functional repository needs to move now from gitorious"

So, I'd say "+1" on the move to github (short-term)
- --

Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab