[CentOS-devel] Meetings infrastructure?

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Mar 17 23:47:34 UTC 2015

On 03/17/2015 10:53 PM, Dave Neary wrote:
> On 03/17/2015 12:48 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
>> We have an unwritten practice of kicking a SIG off with a video
>> meeting, and having an occasional (4x/year?) of doing a video sync to
>> work through things. Google Hangouts has been the choice as giving
>> realtime read-only to a wide audience, instant meeting archive, etc.
>
> In practice, how do you figure out which 10 people get a voice on the
> Google Hangouts? And how do I set up the meeting & promote it? I'm not
> very familiar with it in the "broadcast" mode, any help you can give
> would be welcome.

We can setup the session from the centos project account, that will auto
record and live play on the centos project youtube channel.

>> Use #centos-devel on Freenode for regular IRC meetings, centbot is
>> your meetbot instance. The only trick is that minutes are not posted
>> live automatically, you need to ping Arrfab or Evolution to do that
>> after the meeting. (Protection from spammers.)
>>
>> We don't have enough going on that we cross each other on IRC, but it
>> would be a good idea to a single wiki page that lists all regular
>> meetings. I've got that on my todo list now to get up soonest.
>
> Thanks, that all sounds great.
>
> Has anyone tried BlueJeans for a broader video meeting yet? I like that
> you can access it with free software, and I like that it doesn't limit
> you at 10 active participants (I think we will get more than that).

I didnt realise the bluejeans plugins were opensource ? it does not work
without it afaik.

In the past we've tried to run our own instance of bigbluebutton and
openmeetings - neither of which are really finished enough to just-work.
Jitsi is another option, and I spoke with them around running a centos
specific instance - the resource requirements for large number of
attendees (20+) tends to get fairly intense.

there are also a lot of webrtc options starting up like firefox hello -
I've had no real luck in conversations that include more than 4 - 6
people on that.

--
Karanbir Singh