[CentOS-devel] Bridge Networking for Xen in Box proposal

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue May 26 11:52:19 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 6:49 AM, Gautam Malu
<gautam.malu at research.iiit.ac.in> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am doing xen in box gsoc project.
>
> The aim of the project is to have custom installer ISO which delivers xen
> stack running on c7 along with necessary bridge networking configuration.
>
> But I am getting confused over how to package bridge networking settings, so
> that I can deliver that during installation itself.
> I can use bridge-utils and package ifcfg-* files as differnet package. But
> for that I need to have the network information like how many NIC are
> present in the system, and which NIC is active is it eth0 or wlan0.
>
> I can probably write a script to set up bridge networking, which can be used
> to start bridge networking and stop, and ship that script as a package.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> Best regards,
> Gautam Malu

Take a look at my old notes from 2012 about this sort of thing, for
CentOS 6 at https://wikis.uit.tufts.edu/confluence/display/TUSKpub/Configure+Pair+Bonding,+VLANs,+and+Bridges+for+KVM+Hypervisor

It will certainly need rewriting for CentOS 7 and NetworkManager, but
a KVM server ideally needs pair bonding to avoid any single network
piont being a single point of failure for the whole VLAN, and applying
multiple VLAN's on one device or on paired devices means VLAN tagging
to keep the VLAN traffic correctly segregated. While there are many
upstream Red Hat published guidelines on each indivudual feature of
that, NetworkManager certainly didn't encompass setting up all of them
at the time: I'm curious whether it does a better job now!