[CentOS-devel] Building a downstream CentOS Atomic Host

Ian McLeod

imcleod at redhat.com
Tue May 5 15:45:37 UTC 2015

On 04/17/2015 10:23 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 17/04/15 14:16, Ian McLeod wrote:
>> On 04/14/2015 06:22 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> One of the things that the Atomic SIG will attempt to do is build a
>>> downstream CentOS Atomic host, that is modelled on the RHEL Atomic host.
>>> Most code and info needed for this is now available, and its a good
>>> point to think about the build, release process. I've attached a map of
>>> what that might look like. Think of it as a proposal.
>>>
>>> Some of the things that are marked with red stars are things that we
>>> will try and help, from the Core SIG, to get this process onramped - but
>>> largely we are looking at community and SIG involvement here with the
>>> aim that the entire process can be offload ( taken over ? ) but the
>>> community.
>>>
>>> This process proposed here very closely maps to the Core CentOS Linux
>>> process.
>>>
>>> I would very much like to hear comments and thoughts around this from
>>> everyone on centos-devel, specially around areas where people can help.
>>
>> This looks good to me and I'm keen to assist.
>>
>> As a starting point, I've put up a snapshot of the non-RPM metadata that
>> is being used to generate the upstream Atomic content.  It differs
>> substantially from the current CentOS Atomic SIG content and will need
>> at least some modification to be workable.
>>
>> It's currently sitting in this directory and branch of my fork of the
>> Atomic SIG repo:
>>
>> https://github.com/imcleod/sig-atomic-buildscripts/tree/scratch/rhel-snapshot/rhel-scratch-snapshot
>>
>> Prior to the full RPM source drop being available, I'd like to at least
>> try some initial smoke test tree composes using the SIG content in CBS.
>>  I will attempt to start on this early next week.
>
> I believe the srpm content is at git.c.o already - we can get cracking
> on that fairly rapidly. Anaconda will need its rebranding stuff to be
> done, but the rest looks fairly cleanly reusable.
>

>> I'd also be interested in getting plugged in on the CI/CD infrastructure
>> side of things.
>
> sounds good, what sort of tests did you have in mind ? I had started off
> on a smoke testing walk-through, but never had the time to get it
> end-to-end. I do want to get atleast the basic stuff done in there.

Vagrant is a tempting option here.  If we do regular and on-demand
Vagrant box builds we get two things more or less for free:

1) Verification that Anaconda based installs are working.

2) A dirt simple smoke test that verifies quite a bit of basic
functionality in the resulting system:  "vagrant up; vagrant ssh /bin/true"