[CentOS-devel] announcing content from the sign process

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Thu Nov 26 12:30:44 UTC 2015

On 11/26/2015 12:14 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 26/11/15 10:40, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> the release id is : CSIG-2015:XXXX to match the format of what we are
>> already doing in centos-announce. Here the XXXX will be a serial
>> starting from 0001 and will run through the calendar year.
>
> one problem with this, is that RedHat already allocates numbers in
> exactly the same manner, ie. were going to conflict on ID's unless
> everyone always uses the entire id (ie. use CSIG-2015:0001 instead of
> 2015:0001 ).
>
> One way to fix this might be to add an alpha digit in the second part,
> eg: CSIG-2015:A001 that keeps the component id part ( 2015:A001 )
> unique and usable as the ID.
>
>> There will be one post per day per sig, ie. if there are multiple SRPMS
>> included in the push, they will be summarised into one email. This is a
>> change from how we do the distro updates, where there is an email per
>> srpm ( with a few exceptions, but very few ). Open to change requests on
>> this.
>
> One slight complication is that the CentOS Linux 6 and 7 content is
> marked differently so that people can filter on it with the
> centos-announce list's filtering option. We got lucky today in that the
> Cloud SIG only had CentOS Linux 7 content, and virt sig only has CentOS
> Linux 6 content.
>
> The options we have is : keep posting one per CentOS Linux release, per
> SIG per day. or Mash the different CentOS Linux releases updates into
> one email per SIG, this would make it easier to parse for people
> tracking multiple versions, but would break filters in the announce list
> for people who only want one release versions content.

I'd be fine with two separate announces. I expect there will be more and
more content different for el6 and el7 in time, as el6 gets older and older.

I'm also thinking how to get a link with additional info there. Maybe
having a common link to wiki for every SIGs, which would be used as main
page for additional information about the content provided by SIG? In
case of SCLo, this page would include links to other pages, where info
how to install/use the SCL would be found.

Honza