[CentOS-devel] Request to join the Cloud Instance SIG for Microsoft Azure

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Nov 4 13:18:52 UTC 2015

On 26/10/15 22:44, Stephen Zarkos wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> As requested, I would like to introduce myself as a representative of Microsoft Azure and request membership in the CentOS Cloud Instance SIG.  My formal goal in joining this group is of course to bring community-supported and high-quality CentOS images to Microsoft Azure.  At Microsoft I drive the technical collaboration with many of the various Linux distributions that exist in the Azure Gallery - which includes numerous efforts around image creation, testing and support of these images on Azure.  I hope to do the same with the CentOS community.
>
> My group is also responsible for a few other key components that will be important for this effort, such as the device drivers for Hyper-V/Azure (which already ship with the CentOS kernel), the Azure Linux agent and various others.  We work closely with the upstream developers to ensure customers have a great experience running CentOS in Hyper-V/Azure virtualized environments.  Having official CentOS images I think will allow us to build and continue to improve on those efforts.
>
> Looking forward to working with you all.  Please let me know if I should provide more details.

thanks for reaching out, and I look forward to working with you on this.

Going by your email, am I correct in assuming that the hyper-v and azure
images would be identical ?

And I guess the next step here would be to get you signed up on the SIG
( I will work on that ), and start looking at the Azure Linux agent and
how best to get that built in cbs.centos.org

Aside from this, can you potentially list our the steps needed to adapt
http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/images/CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud.qcow2
? We can then roll those changes in and look at testing the image. If
there are changes that might impact other consumers of the image, we can
do an Azure branded image ( which might also work out better for folks
looking at BYOI process' ).

regards,

--
Karanbir Singh