[CentOS-devel] Query regarding contributing RPMs to CentOS Repo

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Nov 13 12:37:09 UTC 2015

On 13/11/15 12:27, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> That.... is so many major revisions ahead it cannot reasonably be in
> the mainline kernels for CentOS. 7, which had a base kernel of 3.10.0.
> Remember that CentOS, Scientific Linux, and the old Whitebox are all
> rebuilds of the commercial RHEL, and RHEL has a 10 year supported
> lifespan. Red Hat, upstream, *cannot* do major kernel upgrades in the
> main repositories without potentially breaking core features such as
> systemd, real-time kernel support, virtualization, and vendor
> supported storage controllers. It takes serous testing to release a
> commercial kernel, it's not cheap:

For the main line distro, that is true - but in the CentOS Space, we
have lots of provisions to help curate layered and external content as
well. We already host a huge amount of content in that space, and have
much larger infra dedicated to this ( including build, test, release ).

The key to working out a plan for Uday's kernel is going to be driven by
how he intends to support it and do maintenance work in that space.

regards,

--
Karanbir Singh