[CentOS-devel] Request to join the Cloud Instance SIG for Microsoft Azure

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Nov 24 16:37:42 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 12/11/15 21:41, Stephen Zarkos wrote:
>> Going by your email, am I correct in assuming that the hyper-v and azure
>> images would be identical ?
>
> They could be, although it may be better to build these separately for now and see how we can merge them later.  For example, the Hyper-V images would not require the Azure Linux agent, and we may wish to enable additional userspace daemons to handle specific on-prem Hyper-V scenarios (VSS for snapshotting, fcopy, etc.).

okay, lets do the Azure ones first in that case.

> Overall the existence of the agent or services will not adversely impact the VM if it's running in either environment (the agent may just add a bit of noise in the console logs when running on-prem).

we seem to have inherited
https://git.centos.org/summary/rpms!WALinuxAgent which maybe a good
place to start from ( I'm going to check if we need some rebranding /
debranding around it as well ).

>> And I guess the next step here would be to get you signed up on the SIG ( I
>> will work on that ), and start looking at the Azure Linux agent and how best to
>> get that built in
>
> Currently the Linux agent is available in EPEL, if that helps.  We may work to integrate it with upstream RHEL, but that's not the case today.
>

>> Aside from this, can you potentially list our the steps needed to adapt
>> http%3a%2f%2fcloud.ce
>> ntos.org%2fcentos%2f7%2fimages%2fCentOS-7-x86_64-
>> GenericCloud.qcow2
>> ? We can then roll those changes in and look at testing the image. If there are
>> changes that might impact other consumers of the image, we can do an
>> Azure branded image ( which might also work out better for folks looking at
>> BYOI process' ).
>
> Sure, I can list the steps here.  Is there a wiki or similar available where we can codify these steps?
>
> There are only a few changes:
>
> 1) Add the following parameters to /etc/default/grub:
>
>         earlyprintk=ttyS0,115200 rootdelay=300
>
>     1a) We'd also recommend removing "crashkernel=auto" as well.  This parameter often won't work right on Hyper-V without some additional tweaks anyway, and will save memory on smaller VM sizes (i.e. Azure's A0 size).
>
>     1b) Be sure to rebuild grub.cfg (grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg)
>
> 2) Remove the "cloud-init" package.  The Azure datasource does not quite work in CentOS yet.
>
> 3) Install WALinuxAgent package from EPEL:
>
>      rpm -ivh http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/7/x86_64/e/epel-release-7-5.noarch.rpm
>      yum -y install WALinuxAgent
>      systemctl enable waagent.service
>
> 4) Enable NTP (timedatectl set-ntp true)
>
> 5) Clear the file "/lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules".  MAC addresses can change.
>      - Note that this step may not be required in the future.
>

> Our team can help test the image once it's built.  Please let me know if you have questions.

I'll get a baseline image up in the next few days and we can try it out.
It will all end up in a git repo, so we can collaborate from there.

--
Karanbir Singh