[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 liveCD survey

Manuel Wolfshant

wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Thu Nov 26 09:10:40 UTC 2015

On 25 noiembrie 2015 23:38:32 EET, Erick Ocrospoma <zipper1790 at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 25 November 2015 at 13:48, Conley, Matthew M CTR GXM <
>matthew.m.conley1.ctr at navy.mil> wrote:
>
>> Ironically, I work in an environment, where a usb stick is forbidden,
>but
>> that said, I usually try to use the liveDVD's. I only have one system
>that
>> has only a cd drive (no dvd), but the older releases support it just
>fine.
>> So that's cool.
>>

>Idem.
>
>I've seen and worked in places where pendrives (or any removable media) are forbidden,
'Any removable' does not apply to CDs as well ?!!

> due to some policy on their datacenters.
>
>Personally I prefer DVD iso, but let's take in count that CentOS is a
>nice
>and solid
>alternative for production servers,
... on which one would not use a desktop-like but almost minimal distro as the liveCD would be...

 >it is very used on small companies
>that
>run commodity hardware (at least in my country happens),
I am with you on this one... but do these really need to boot in a Gnome environment from a live image which is barely more than a minimal  desktop and has no browser ? As one of the regulars who provide help in #centos I am pretty sure we'd see frustrated users who do not read the docs/release notes and would lose their and our time with questions related to "where is the browser?"

>and CDs are still a media option.
Once again: for a live image which would be barely more than a minimal Gnome desktop , without a browser ? Remember that for installation purposes there are at least two SMALLER alternatives, the minimal and the network isos.