[CentOS-devel] announcing content from the sign process

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Nov 27 17:49:01 UTC 2015

On 26/11/15 12:30, Honza Horak wrote:
> On 11/26/2015 12:14 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> On 26/11/15 10:40, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>> the release id is : CSIG-2015:XXXX to match the format of what we are
>>> already doing in centos-announce. Here the XXXX will be a serial
>>> starting from 0001 and will run through the calendar year.
>>
>> one problem with this, is that RedHat already allocates numbers in
>> exactly the same manner, ie. were going to conflict on ID's unless
>> everyone always uses the entire id (ie. use CSIG-2015:0001 instead of
>> 2015:0001 ).
>>
>> One way to fix this might be to add an alpha digit in the second part,
>> eg: CSIG-2015:A001 that keeps the component id part ( 2015:A001 )
>> unique and usable as the ID.
>>
>>> There will be one post per day per sig, ie. if there are multiple SRPMS
>>> included in the push, they will be summarised into one email. This is a
>>> change from how we do the distro updates, where there is an email per
>>> srpm ( with a few exceptions, but very few ). Open to change requests on
>>> this.
>>
>> One slight complication is that the CentOS Linux 6 and 7 content is
>> marked differently so that people can filter on it with the
>> centos-announce list's filtering option. We got lucky today in that the
>> Cloud SIG only had CentOS Linux 7 content, and virt sig only has CentOS
>> Linux 6 content.
>>
>> The options we have is : keep posting one per CentOS Linux release, per
>> SIG per day. or Mash the different CentOS Linux releases updates into
>> one email per SIG, this would make it easier to parse for people
>> tracking multiple versions, but would break filters in the announce list
>> for people who only want one release versions content.
>
> I'd be fine with two separate announces. I expect there will be more and
> more content different for el6 and el7 in time, as el6 gets older and
> older.

Seems to be the feeling a few other people shared as well, so for now,
lets keep it as one announce per CentOS Linux release.

> I'm also thinking how to get a link with additional info there. Maybe
> having a common link to wiki for every SIGs, which would be used as main
> page for additional information about the content provided by SIG? In
> case of SCLo, this page would include links to other pages, where info
> how to install/use the SCL would be found.

Thats a good idea, we can send a can'd note with each announce, with it
being either per SIG, per destination directory or per SRPM. We might
need a git repo to store all of those though. Let me look at that.

--
Karanbir Singh