[CentOS-devel] getting better at user engagement / announcements

Trevor Hemsley trevor.hemsley at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 2 10:15:22 UTC 2015

On 02/10/15 09:51, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 02/10/15 08:33, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
>> On 01/10/15 21:35, john tatt wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> Maybe you could send a mail to everyone registered in the fora ?
>>> And this is also available for fora in other languages ?
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Well, I'm not sure that automatically sending notifications for people
>> subscribed to forum/fora would be a good idea : I like the idea that
>> someone can just opt-in for such mail notification.
>> OTOH, some people (like you for fr.centos.org, and thanks for that)
>> can play a kind of "bridge role" between such lists and fora (where a
>> post/topic can be created so that people using forum/fora can be
>> aware, while still not themselves receiving mails that they don't
>> subscribed to)
> the newsletter sort of format might be good though, specially if we make
> it easy for people to opt out of. I think quite a few forums do this
> already.
>
> Maybe worth a test.
>
> does the software we run at centos.org support something of this nature
> ? specially the opt out part..

I don't think it's either supported nor do I think it's a good idea.
No-one who has signed up for the forums has explicitly signed up to
receive mail from us on other subjects other than password resets etc so
it would effectively be unsolicited SPAM. In addition the actual hit
rate for getting to real users will be extremely low as we currently
have over 66,000 users signed up but I would bet that not more than 1 in
10 of those are real users, the rest are spammers signed up by automated
bots. The back scatter from a blunderbuss approach to contacting them
would be enormous.

Trevor