[CentOS-devel] atomic-sig: proposing a process for centos atomic four-week release

Jason Brooks jbrooks at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 15:37:13 UTC 2015

The four-week release of CentOS Atomic Host is set to consist of CentOS
core plus a set newer "atomic" packages[1], built for CentOS in the CBS,
with versions tracking what's in Fedora Latest Stable (currently F22, soon
to be F23).

In the downstream rebuild version of CentOS Atomic Host, these "atomic"
packages come from the CentOS Extras repository, built from upstream RHEL
AH code.

## Atomic pkgs in the CBS, today and tomorrow

There are versions of all/most of the "atomic" pkgs in the CBS (in the
atomic7-testing and virt7-common-candidate tags), but which versions, and
when they're updated, and where they live, isn't governed by any set
process. It may make sense to add a new tag specifically for the 4wk
release.

### Here's a rough process proposal:

1. We pay attention to upstream releases of "atomic" packages, and pay
attention to the available versions of those packages in Fedora latest
testing. If the packages in Fedora latest testing are older than the
currently released upstream versions, we ping the Fedora package maintainer
about updating to the latest released version.

2. We help move Fedora packages from testing  to stable by testing them and
giving them karma.

3. We take the stable "atomic" packages from Fedora latest and rebuild them
for CentOS 7 in the CBS, using a tag for this purpose. We automate this if,
possible.

4. We feed the repo backing this CAH-4wk tag into our 4wk/devel buildscript
(see https://github.com/CentOS/sig-atomic-buildscripts/tree/devel), build
repo/images, test those images, images/trees that pass tests become our
four-week releases, released, presumably, every four weeks or so. Again,
automating as many steps as possible.

[1] The "atomic" packages are:

docker
kubernetes
etcd
flannel
cloud-init
ostree
atomic
cockpit

Finding the latest stable or testing version of a pkg in Fedora. For docker
(replace pkg name as needed):

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/?packages=docker&status=stable
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/?packages=docker&status=testing

Let's discuss this here on the list and at next week's atomic sig meeting.

---

Jason Brooks
Red Hat Open Source and Standards

@jasonbrooks | @redhatopen