[CentOS-devel] CentOS-7 / ppc64le System Architectures

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Sep 11 14:24:33 UTC 2015

hi Aaron,

On 11/09/15 15:16, Aaron Sullivan wrote:

> Rackspace is building a POWER8 based OpenPOWER server, in an Open
> Compute form factor.  Its codename is Barreleye.

> §  More here:
> http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2015/08/14/facebooks-openbmc-can-now-do-facebook-server-management/
> -- there’s similar, collaborative work going on for Barreleye.
>

> There’s a picture of a Barreleye rack, at Rackspace, here:
> https://twitter.com/Calista_Redmond/status/636367178355245056/photo/1

sounds good, I see there has been quite a bit of progress on this in the
last few months. Our aim is to build out the platform side of the OS and
then encourage ecosystem involvement from the Special Interest Groups
and from the wider community around power / openpower running CentOS.

> We believe demand for POWER-based CentOS will be similar to our x86
> demand (which is to say, significant).  We hope to see it get to
> launch-grade quality for at least virtual machines, if not bare metal,
> over the next few months.

Would be great to see you guys get involved in the effort in the CentOS
Project - do you have any thoughts around that ?

regards

--
Karanbir Singh