[CentOS-devel] CentOS-7 / powerpc LE bring up

James O'Connor

jpoc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Sep 18 17:27:33 UTC 2015

Starting a new status thread for CentOS 7 POWER Little Endian. On Monday, Arrfab turned over the keys to a pairf of shiny new Fedora 21 ppc64le VMs running atop PowerKVM. I created a f21-ppc64le mock config and built a Linux from Scratch [1] toolchain with CentOS 7.1.1503 sources. This is necessary to jump back in time from Fedora 21 glibc-2.20 to CentOS 7 glibc-2.17. I then proceeded to build enough ppc64le.el7 rpms with the LFS toolchain to construct a minimal c7.01.01-ppc64le mock buildroot.

As of last night, the minimal c7.01.01-ppc64le buildroot is complete and I’m untangling circular dependencies in the CentOS 7.1.1503 source rpms. I’ve built 700 of 2523 source packages so 27% complete with this first pass.

Next, I’ll bootstrap java-1.7.0-openjdk and continue to loop through ppc64le rpm builds with mock. In the next 1-2 weeks, I should have 95+% of the source packages building for ppc64le. At which point we can create the first CentOS 7 ppc64le VMs and rebuild c7.01.02-ppc64le atop CentOS 7 instead of Fedora 21.

CentOS 7.1.1503 ppc64le Alpha images for the early adopters sometime after that.

[1] http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable-systemd/