[CentOS-devel] CentOS-7 / powerpc BE bring up

James O'Connor

jpoc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Sep 11 19:18:02 UTC 2015

> On Sep 11, 2015, at 12:57 PM, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:

> So, I've been "off and on" on this today , and I had to fight a
> strange ppc64 bug with anaconda and kickstart for f19/f20.
> Current status is that I have kickstart working now for the
> f19/f20/f21 ppc64 and f21 ppc64le.
> So next question is how much VMs do we want/need for the initial
> bootstrap ? IIRC we said something like F19 ppc64/ 4Gb/40GB disk (in
> lvm) ? Correct me if I'm wrong .
> How much VMs for that ? Depending on the number of builders (threads)
> we'll have after that to think about common storage for repositories
> and so on .. but let's start "easy".

Out of curiosity what does a typical c7-x86_64 builder look like for cpu, memory, and disk?

I think 2-4x f19-ppc64 BE builders with 2-4 cores, 8GB of memory and 20-40GB of disk should suffice for now.

And I only need 1x f21-ppc64le LE builder with 4 cores, 8GB of memory and 50-100GB of disk if you spare it for now. A lot of the initial toolchain building, and rpm wrangling has to happen in a persistent mockroot that grows with every ppc64le rpm that gets built. Once enough c7 ppc64le rpms exist, that builder can go away and we can do some LE parallel builds atop c7-ppc64le builders with less /var/lib/mock disk space.