[CentOS-devel] [EPEL-devel] [Proposal] Converge EPEL and CBS

Haïkel

hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 21 15:11:49 UTC 2015

> I'm a maintainer of several EPEL packages and a CentOS user. After reading
> through this, I don't understand the value in this shift. Also, what are the
> potential negatives of the change?
> Thanks,
> Dave

I don't see any negative except that it will require some efforts to
do the transition (and I'm already volunteering to work on that).
Bridging two FAS instances may not be possible currently.
The value is that, what CentOS SIGs are trying to build will leverage
EPEL without having them duplicate in a poorly fashion, work done in
EPEL.
https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup
Enhancing collaboration between EPEL and CentOS will allow us to ship
a much better curated EPEL repository, you're more likely to find
people able to provide proper maintenance of EPEL packages within the
CentOS community.

And if CentOS ended up rebuilding an EPEL-like repositories (which
will happen sooner or later), what will happen to EPEL? Moreover,
rebuilding EPEL from scratch will be painful and long process.

Regards,
H.