[CentOS-devel] CATPR - Community Approved Third Party Repos

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Wed Sep 30 16:50:47 UTC 2015

On 09/29/2015 01:33 PM, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
> On 29/09/15 17:35, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 09/28/2015 10:58 AM, Carl George wrote: >> Howdy, >> >> There are several "release" packages in the Extras
> repository for SIGs and >> third party repositories. >> >>
> centos-release-virt-common >> centos-release-openstack >> epel-release
> Other ones are SIGs .. which is the way to get a release file into
> extras. > > >> Currently there are no guidelines for other third party
> repositories to be >> included, so I wrote this document. >> >>
> https://wiki.centos.org/CarlGeorge/CATPR >> > > I am certainly open to
> discussion .. however, there exists a way to make > this happen.  We
> start a Hosting SIG and those RPMs get put in there and > built on our CBS.
>
> That appears to rule out elrepo and IUS ever being allowed to get into
> extras which seems like a change of policy from before when it was:
> "come up with some criteria by which we can make impartial decisions".
> In both cases, they do not target CentOS alone, they exist to serve the
> entire EL community. Making them build in CBS would then rule out their
> repos being used on RHEL and/or SL. I don't think this is a good idea
> either.

Well .. RDO, who produces RPMs for RHEL, builds things on CBS.

Packages built on CBS could also work on SL.

I am NOT saying we can never get other repo release files in
CentOS-Extras .. I am just saying that there is an easy way to make it
happen right now and that is a SIG.

I am only 11% of the CentOS Board .. so I'm sure there is room for
movement in many directions on this.  But, personally, if we are
offering an open program to get things into CentOS, I don't like making
exceptions.  Everyone thinks THEIR exception is a good one and people
want to keep their secret sauce (or build logs, root logs, or build
root, etc) private.  I would rather everyone work thorough our community
setup.  I think that is better for CentOS users.  They have one place to
go to in order to find stuff.  If everyone uses it then it is better for
everyone in the long run.

We are having ppc64 and ppc64le being redone on our hardware and in a
way that it can be integrated into CBS and this infrastructure.  The
people doing that did not necessarily think that was a great idea either
.. but I also think that will be better in the long run too.

However, by all means, if users and the board want to create this
mechanism, this is the place to hash it out.