[CentOS-devel] CATPR - Community Approved Third Party Repos

Carl George

carl.george at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Sep 30 22:41:34 UTC 2015

Regarding the point about "secret sauce", I can clarify the differences between public IUS and what Rackspace offers our customers.  It's not so much "secret" as it is just poorly documented.

* Public IUS offers packages built against the latest base releases of RHEL and CentOS.
* Internally at Rackspace, business needs dictate that we also build IUS packages against supported RHEL EUS point releases (in addition to the latest base releases).

Our build farm is currently private and is configured to build for both public and internal needs in the same build.  Here is an overview of the steps that are taken.

1. build requested
2. build farm builds packages for RHEL {6, 6.5, 6.6, 6.7, 7, 7.1} and CentOS {6, 7}
3. automation copies base and EUS packages to an internal server and signs with our internal key
4. automation copies just base packages to a public server and signs with our public key

Eventually converting IUS into a CentOS SIG is an intriguing idea, but may be limited in our use case since I don't believe CBS can build for RHEL EUS releases (please correct me if I am wrong).  Maybe that just means that we have to double our work and run duplicate builds in the CBS infrastructure and internally.

Just to clarify, I don't necessarily want to keep our EUS rebuilds private, that is just how the project was set up initially.

Carl George
IUS CoreDev Team