[CentOS-devel] [RFE] subscription-manager in CentOS6

Baptiste Agasse

baptiste.agasse at lyra-network.com
Mon Apr 4 08:09:13 UTC 2016

Hi,

----- Le 11 Mar 16, à 12:34, Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org a écrit :

> On 09/03/16 09:21, Baptiste Agasse wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to speak about this to Johnny at the end of the last CentOS Dojo in
>> Brussels, but he have to go.
>>
>> There is any chance that you to include subscription-manager in CentOS 6 ?
>>
>> We use foreman/katello, all work out of the box for centos 7 but it's not easy
>> to manage additional installation repos in foreman/katello to manage that in
>> one generic kickstart template for our deployments (multiple DCs, with multiple
>> repos mirrors per locations...).
>>
>> As i see in the git repo of CentOS 7 [1], there is only few changes, like
>> debranding. I see that redhat provides SRPMS for subscription-manager as well
>> for RHEL6 [2] and versions of subscription-manager are are not so far from each
>> other:
>>
>> RHEL 7 / CentOS 7 : subscription-manager 1.15.9
>> RHEL 6            : subscription-manager 1.14.10
>>
>> I didn't take a look deeper at this time, but if there is any chance that you
>> decide to include subscription-manager in CentOS 6 base repo and installation
>> tree like in CentOS 7, i can take a look deeper to see if patches that are made
>> for C7 are compatible with RHEL 6 subscription manager, and if not, backport
>> them to c6.
>>
>> Have a nice day.
>>
>> Regards.

>> [2] ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/os/SRPMS/
>>

> the main concern with SM was that it ships by default with a lot of
> resources pointing at *.redhat.com - if we can somehow disable those, it
> would make it easier to ship. I'll ping Johnny and see how he feels
> about this as well.

Any news on that ?

Yes i know that subscription-manager point to *.redhat.com, but i think you have modified this for the version of subscription-manager that you provide with CentOS 7, so i don't think that there is any major changes on that side for the version of subscription-manager provided by RHEL6. As i said, i can take a look at it more deeply but i want to know before taking this time if at the end you are ok to integrate it in CentOS 6 or not.

Have a nice day.

Regards.

> --
> Karanbir Singh