[CentOS-devel] Interest in a SIG for logging and monitoring?

Pete Travis

lists at petetravis.com
Fri Apr 29 15:58:14 UTC 2016

On Apr 28, 2016 5:28 PM, "Matthias Runge" <mrunge at matthias-runge.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wonder, if there is more interest here for starting a logging and
> monitoring SIG. It should provide (as the name says) for logging and
> monitoring. With people running huge installations, it makes sense to
> have more centralized logging, but there's currently not that much in
> CentOS repositories.
>
> I could imagine to have both tools and also installation and
> configuration bits and pieces to be maintained by the SIG.
>
> Before I'd be putting out more details, about what I could imagine or
> what I would like to see, I would like to see some more interested folks
> raising their hands.
>
> Best,
> Matthias

I'm inexperienced in this area, but centralized monitoring and logging are
on my list. collectd seems particularly intriguing; I like how you can plug
in listen and forward capability and get a relay host in individual
environments, as well as a centralized aggregator for all of an org's
environments.

Count me interested, at least enough to follow along.

--Pete