[CentOS-devel] Problem with vagrant box (ssh-ing during ``vagrant up`` doesn't work)

Laurențiu Păncescu lpancescu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 18:18:16 UTC 2016

On 8/6/16, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> thanks for working through this, but make sure you leave feedback on the
> bug report!

I assume you mean feedback on Vagrant bug #7610, helpfully linked to
by Jeff?  Seth blocked all further feedback on this bug on July 22.
[1]

To put it diplomatically, I'm stunned that a bug of this magnitude not
only made it into a release (don't they even try to create a new box
with "vagrant up" before publising a _stable_ release?), but also that
there's still no 1.8.6 release, 19 days after the bug was filed.
There's not even a mention of this bug on the upstream download page,
and their official documentation warns against using distribution
packages, in pretty strong terms but without any explanation (yes,
really). [2]

There's always the possibility for distros to add a custom patch to
their Vagrant 1.8.5 packages.  SCL only seems to package Vagrant 1.7
right now, so I guess this isn't an issue when using CentOS as a host.
I should have updated the release notes for our existing Vagrant
images to mention this bug, instead of just mentioning it in the
release notes for v1607 (not yet published).

Regards,
Laurențiu

[1] https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/7610#issuecomment-234609660
[2] https://www.vagrantup.com/docs/installation/