[CentOS-devel] [opstools] fluentd packaging

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Thu Aug 11 13:36:30 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 07:27:45AM -0600, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 08/09/2016 03:41 PM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> >In working with the fluentd packaging from the opstools sig, I think
> >we need to make at least two changes:
> >
> >- For type=tail sources, fluentd really wants a pos_file parameter to
> >   track the file position.  It would be helpful if we created
> >   /run/fluentd via /etc/tmpfiles.d as a common location for storing
> >   these files.
>
> +1 - as long as the location is configurable.  OpenShift typically keeps its
> pos_file in the log directory (e.g. /var/log) that is mounted from the host.

I don't know about configureable. I mean, I am proposing that the
package drops a file into /etc/tmpfiles.d, which would make it a
system-wide default, although of course individual <source> blocks
could use whatever path they wish.

As the package is distributed, with fluentd running as an unprivileged
user, it's not going to have write access to most log directories, so
putting the pos files there won't work in most cases without changes
to directory permissions.

If everyone is colocating pos files with log files, this proposal
doesn't seem all that useful. For now, I'm probably going to tackle
this in a puppet module that is consuming fluentd, rather than the
package itself.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {freenode,twitter,github}
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | http://blog.oddbit.com/