[CentOS-devel] [SIGS] nodejs in centos

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 14:41:07 UTC 2016

On 08/25/2016 08:33 AM, Matthias Runge wrote:
> On 25/08/16 13:27, Haïkel wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> for opstools, we'll need nodejs in a repo, I've seen the Cloud SIG
>>> creating their version, PaaS has done the same (just illustrating, I may
>>> be wrong).
>>>
>>> This is mostly a mail to ask for interested persons to join or
>>> coordinate efforts here. No need to do the same work multiple times.
>>>

>>> What would be the best repository for cross-SIG dependencies?
>>>
>>> Matthias
>>
>> I'm afraid there is none.
>> As Cloud SIG needed a lot of common python dependencies, I originally
>> offered to maintain those in a common
>> repositories (and why not collaborating with EPEL) but there was
>> little interest to do so.
>> We even separated the build tags (hence cloud7-openstack-common-*) to
>> make the transition easier.
>>
>> I'm not keen on maintaining separately node.js but the only
>> alternative we had are SCLs and quite old.
>> Maybe we could work on a common layer SIG that could serve that role.
>>
>> Regards,
>> H.
> IIRC, EPEL/nodejs-maintainers were looking to upgrade straight to nodejs
> version 6.

But not until mid-October, when
". . . the Node.js v6 schedule has it going into LTS mode on the same
day that 0.10.x reaches EOL."

> I currently don't know the requirements esp. regarding openssl.

I suppose they have the same patch which allows them to build nodejs 4
(or 6) using openssl 1.0.1

> Upstream Nodejs version 6 bundles openssl 1.0.2h, which makes me wonder
> if we could simply drop it and link node against the CentOS version of
> openssl. We should not maintain another openssl library here.

We'll just use the patch that was discussed previously that allows us to
build nodejs against openssl 1.0.1.