[CentOS-devel] [opstools] fluentd packaging

Rich Megginson

rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 13:27:45 UTC 2016

On 08/09/2016 03:41 PM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> In working with the fluentd packaging from the opstools sig, I think
> we need to make at least two changes:
>
> - For type=tail sources, fluentd really wants a pos_file parameter to
>    track the file position.  It would be helpful if we created
>    /run/fluentd via /etc/tmpfiles.d as a common location for storing
>    these files.

+1 - as long as the location is configurable.  OpenShift typically keeps
its pos_file in the log directory (e.g. /var/log) that is mounted from
the host.

> - I think that the *_secure_forward plugins (which permit using ssl
>    for communication between a fluentd client and a collector) are
>    going to be a necessity for just about everybody, so these should
>    probably be packaged in manner similar to the elasticsearch plugin.

+1 - gem2rpm for starters.  But watch out because gem2rpm will sometimes
generate too many Requires and BuildRequires which aren't really needed,
and will miss some Requires and BuildRequires, and see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Ruby?rd=Packaging/Ruby