[CentOS-devel] Proposing ansible roles for the cfg mgmt SIG

Fabian Arrotin

arrfab at centos.org
Thu Aug 11 12:10:13 UTC 2016

On 11/08/16 13:56, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so for people who do not know me, my name is Michael Scherer, I work as
> a sysadmin on the open source and standard (OSAS) team at Red Hat,
> focusing on infrastructure issues for community my employer want to
> support (in the limit of 26h per day). In practice, that mean doing
> system administration for projects like manageiq, ovirt, gluster and
> others.
>
> My team want to push for community owned infrastructure (kinda like what
> Fedora and Mageia do, leveraging the config as code pattern and solution
> like puppet and ansible), so we are publishing as much as possible our
> configuration under free software license and so we have started to
> develop a set of ansible roles that can be reused accross community,
> trying to provides best practices[1]. They are partially on gitlab.com
> and partially on github.com.
>
> We standardized on ansible for various reasons, mostly due to a
> perceived higher ease of use by beginners and a slightly less painful
> deployment model (no need to keep agent and server in sync, which was a
> pain point for me for puppet, despites loving puppet itself).
>
> And we reached the conclusion that we could make this work useful to
> others, and a logical conclusion was to join the config management sig.
>
> So what we had in mind is the following:
> - we could use the roles to test them on various centos platforms with
> Centos CI and thus providing easy to use roles for centos users. We are
> mostly using Centos for infastructure.
> - the roles could also be used to test against the git head version of
> ansible to make sure that regression in role and/or ansible are detected
> early
> - this could show as best practices for roles developpers, with testing,
> etc
>
> So, what does members of the SIG think of the idea ?

That sounds like a good idea and it's even of the objectives listed on
https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/ConfigManagementSIG

Now, on the other side, we should probably have something happening at
the SIG level side.
We asked for the contributors in the SIG group to test their access to
CBS but nothing was built (so far).
Probably all the people listed in that SIG are now offline and/or summer
holidays ?

@Julien : what's the current status/blocker/$else for the
ConfigManagementSIG ?

--