[CentOS-devel] Incorrect default governor on CentOS ppc64el builds

Gustavo Luiz Duarte

gustavold at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 17:07:50 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 7:18 AM, Murilo Opsfelder Araújo <
muriloo at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> On 07/25/2016 12:07 PM, Adi Gangidi wrote:
> > Hey Murilo
> >
> > I think so too. Tuned is causing this. But I feel like this shouldn't be
> the case.
> >
> > It would seem like right thing to do is to ensure post-install out of
> box governor should be, what's being set in kernel config
> > (on-demand).
> >
> > Best
> > Adi
>
> The tuned package is also installed by default on a RHEL 7.2 ppc64le
> minimal installation:
>
> # rpm -q tuned
> tuned-2.5.1-4.el7_2.3.noarch
>
> # rpm -q redhat-release-server
> redhat-release-server-7.2-9.el7.ppc64le
>
> I don't believe this is a bug with CentOS; it is just honoring what RHEL
> installs by default.
>
> Perhaps someone from Red Hat on the list can explain the rationale of
> installing tuned by default.

Tuned chooses its profile based on the OS variant. See
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/tuned.git/tree/recommend.conf

The RHEL Server and Compute Node variants will use
the throughput-performance profile, which sets the ondemand governor, while
the Workstation and Client variants use the balanced profile, which sets
the conservative governor.

CentOS does not set any variant to /etc/system-release-cpe, so it ends up
with the default profile being the balanced.

I guess we could add the "server" string to /etc/system-release-cpe ? At
least for ppc64 and ppc64le, I'm sure that is what we want anyway.

[]'s
Gustavo