[CentOS-devel] Security and other updates - too slow

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Dec 16 11:08:03 UTC 2016

On 16/12/16 10:49, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
> 7.3.1611 took 39 days from the upstream release which is 2 weeks longer
> than the previous el7 drops.

I am going to try and work this out - plan on doing a better teardown
and work through the issues early Jan once this release has settled. We
got a few things right, a couple of things went sideways. But I agree,
we should aim to turn around a major release in 15 days or less.

> The latest https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2016-2946.html which is a
> critical update for firefox released on the 14th is still not released
> for CentOS 7 after 2 days.
>
> It appears the core team have lost focus on what's important. The SIG
> stuff should be peripheral. The altarch stuff should be peripheral.
> Concentrate on what's important - it's the DISTRO. The rest of it may be
> nice to have but the important part is the core of the distro. Anything
> else is just distraction.

I strongly disagree. The overall ecosystem is important and key to the
distro as well. For tangible issues, like the distro taking xx days - is
something we can work on and try to fix, but lets not get carried away
and declare blame based on a limited view on what is going on.

regards,

--
Karanbir Singh