[CentOS-devel] Curating containers

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Sun Feb 7 09:22:23 UTC 2016

hi,

Yesterday a few of us met for a face to face walk through of the CentOS
Container Pipeline we've been talking about. The aim was to rescope the
upstream projects we can lean on, share code with, and help - and then
find the glue pieces that could bring this code base together.

The larger picture effectively boils down to :
- Find the components needed to track code git repos ( either in
git.centos.org or elsewhere )
- Find the components needed to now build that code, containerise the
code, push it through a test process, and then deliver the containers
either locally into a centos transitional container registry, or to a
CDN like wider centos registry or if the user so desires, to a third
part registry ( provided a good process can be find to handle the
credentials needed ).
- We'd want to use this pipeline both internally, for the CentOS Linux
components ( eg. a LAMP container from CentOS Linux 7 ), for SIG
components via cbs output ( eg. SCLo SIG folks shipping containers for
their content ), as well as open this up via a trivial UI, for anyone in
the community who'd like to come and consume this pipeline.

the key piece that we didnt have clarity on was the orchestration and
glue that could bind the various software components. Vaclav Pavlin,
brought up that we might be able to use openshift templates in order to
get the job runs done - if the input for the templates could be derived
from the cccp-index, either via the jjb work already done, or writing a
new filter into JJB, we might be able to execute a fairly scaleable
solution without needing to own any piece of the over all code.

Additionally, there is a fair interest from the Fedora team ( ie Adam! )
working on the same problem in their space, mostly consuming the
identical code stack, within and for  their infra, their constraints and
aims.

Over the coming days we are going to try and work though PoC's, get some
infra setup and trial running through some of the user stories we want
to execute on.

Finally, a quick shout out to everyone for coming together at pretty
much the last minute adhoc meeting - Fabian Arrotin, Brian Stinson,
Christoph Goern, Vaclav Pavlin, Aaron Weitekamp, Tomas Tomecek, Adam
Miller, Dusty Mabe, Honza Horak, Radek Vokal as well as Tim Waugh, Bama
Charan and Mohammed Zeeshan  for dialing into the meeting.

And to everyone else, want to build containers with us ? come talk to us
- we'd love to make sure we include as many user stories to get great
scope before we start implementing bits.

regards

--
Karanbir Singh, Project Lead, The CentOS Project
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.centos.org/ | twitter.com/CentOS