[CentOS-devel] Cloud images: what's current / release notes / hashes?

Beni Paskin-Cherniavsky cben at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 12:04:26 UTC 2016

Hi. [Follow up from https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible/issues/1384]
I did not RTFM, this is a fresh-eyes-I-just-want-to-download-an-image perspective...

Looking at http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/images/, I see -1602 is latest version.

- If for some reason I want to use the unversioned
  CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud.* files, it's hard to be sure what I'll get
  (other than by downloading => I am getting 1602).

  - sha256sum.txt{,.asc} contain no hashes for the unversioned files.

  File size does suggest it's 1602.

  Ideally the file listing would actually show them as "name -> target" symlink,
  and/or downloading would return an HTTP redirect to the current version.
  Currently it returns the content directly, only identifying headers are
  `Last-Modified: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 17:53:08 GMT` and
  `ETag: "fcc0480-52c739f3d2900"` (for the .xz).
  [Be careful with redirect: some scripts/libraries by default don't
  follow them, e.g. any script using `curl` without `-L` would break :-(]

- http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/images/sha256sum.txt{,.asc} are not
  available over HTTPS.  I can verify the hash but I can't trust
  the hash itself.  That's what .asc is signed for, but lazy folks
  like me don't necessery know which key to trust...
  (`gpg --search-keys F4A80EB5` worked but then `gpg --verify` says
   "WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!".
   No idea what that means - I'm clueless with GPG;
   trusting https://cloud.centos.org would be trivial for me.)

Looking at https://wiki.centos.org/Download:

- It only links to the unversioned cloud images, doesn't say it's 1602
  (other places on that page give the impression everything 7 is 1511),
  and doesn't list hashes.

- I don't see a link to release notes for cloud images;
  https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7 is for 1511
  and only talks of the regular ISOs.

https://wiki.centos.org/Cloud doesn't mention any specific versions,
release notes or hashes either.

Googling "centos cloud 1602" didn't lead me to any "official" announcement.
Nothing on centos-announce this February.  Is -1602 "officially" released?
(I personally don't really care, but "what changed" is the first natural
question people ask beyond "I just want the latest"...)

Hope this is useful feedback.