[CentOS-devel] ppc64le. Team looking for opal-prd package

Bill Buros

wburos at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 17 12:44:12 UTC 2016

On 2/16/16 7:28 AM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 16/02/16 13:43, Bill Buros wrote:
>>  From peers working with CentOS on Power8,
>>
>> /"I am trying to install OPAL-PRD on cent-os. Do you know where to
>> get opal-prd package ?"/
>>

>> Presently opal-prd is not available in the CentOS repos or in EPEL,
>> but is expected in a future release of RHEL.
>>
>> In the meantime, it is possible to build the rpm from source and
>> install on CentOS.
>>
>> Latest source rpm :
>> https://hegdevasant.fedorapeople.org/opal-prd/v5/opal-prd-5.1.13-1.fc22.src.rpm
>>
>>   Thanks to Vasant Hegde for pointer to files.
> First question would be : what's the purpose of that package ?
This contains 3 packages;
   - opal-prd :  provides a daemon to load and run the OpenPower firmware's
                        Processor Recovery Diagnostics binary. This is
responsible for run time
                        maintenance of OpenPower Systems hardware.
                Installed by default on OpenPower system.

  - opal-utils : Contains utility programs (like gard, pflash etc).
Mostly for developer use.
                This will not be installed by default.

   - opal-firmware : Contains skiboot.lid ..which can be used with qemu
              This will not be installed by default.

> As it's not in the upstream distro (yet), even if it's built, it will

It's available in upstream skiboot repo [1], but not available in RHEL 7.2.
We have this package in our yumrepo for RHEL 7.2 [2]

[1] https://github.com/open-power/skiboot.git
[2] http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/server/POWER/Linux/yum/

> not enter into the base/os nor updates repository. At the best, I'd
> say extras, and then removed when the real package/version/release
> will appear upstream.

We're not sure what you mean.

Are you referring to RHEL here -or- upstream source ?
If it's RHEL, then we hope this package will be included in the future,
RHEL 7.3.