[CentOS-devel] Audio production SIG

Lamar Owen

lowen at pari.edu
Thu Feb 18 16:34:22 UTC 2016

On 02/18/2016 04:56 AM, Tim wrote:
> I have build several RPMS/SRPMS for audio production. ...
>
> There are several packages to add. I also have build a configuration RPM
> that will create udev-rules to grant access to /dev/rtc0 and /dev/hpet
> for group 'realtime' and a file for sysctl to adjust vm.swappiness and
> fs.inotify.max_user_watches
Your package list is a good start.  Do note that an older version of
calf is in the nux repo that includes both the LV2 and LADSPA versions,
but it is definitely older than the one you have packaged.  QJackCtl is
a nice one, too.  I definitely am looking forward to seeing what you
come up with.  Heh, time to dig out my Tascam US224 and US428 again to
check for compatibility, and it really is time for someone to figure out
how to force a particular USB endpoint to go to UHCI or OHCI and bypass
EHCI for the Tascam US-144 and US-122L, or reverse-engineer the USB 2
protocols...... I'm concerned about the US-x2y stuff, though, since last
I tried on a kernel > 3.8 the US-224 would KP the box under AVLinux 6
when any program opened the device, but I haven't tried it with C7 for
some reason.  I have a US-428 buried on my desk; time to do some digging
and prepare to grab a KP and troubleshoot.

Having alsa-tools is wonderful, but getting mudita24 for all those
Envy24/ICE1712 cards out there like the Delta 1010, 44, 66, and certain
revisions of the 1010LT (I have one of these in a C7 machine at home,
and I hand-built mudita24 for it, and it works well), as well as
echomixer for all the Echo Audio stuff out there (I have an old
first-gen 20-bit Layla on which I can test).  And it's about time I put
together that package of the dat-tools for using SGI-firmware-bearing
Seagate DDS DAT drives for pulling audio off of DATs...... that's the
only reason I keep my Purple Indigo2 IMPACT system running with IRIX is
to use my SGI DAT drive with the IRIX audio software to pull audio from
DATs.  But that's in the future......

On the patent-encumbered codec front, for decoding MP3's the Fluendo
codec is or was no-cost, and I think that codec should be the one
pointed to if any.  Nux has 'the rest.'  But Johnny's exactly right
about a SIG of CentOS and patent-encumbrance issues related to being
under US copyright and patent laws.

I'm actually running Mixbus on one of my three screens right now as I
type this for my weekly production tasks......