[CentOS-devel] rebuilding packages for ppc

Bryson Lee

Bryson.Lee at sslmda.com
Tue Feb 23 00:21:24 UTC 2016

> On Feb 17, 2016, at 10:23 AM, James O'Connor wrote:
> > On Feb 16, 2016, at 11:54 PM, Bryson Lee <Bryson.Lee at sslmda.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > For mesa, the configure test for DRI3PROTO fails with dri3proto >= 1.0 not
> found.  The F19 ppc backing repo I’m using has packages for Mesa 9.x,
> whereas 7.2.1511  is at Mesa 10.x.  I’m guessing that some sort of manual
> intervention is needed to bootstrap across the major-version bump, but I
> haven’t been able to work out the sequence.
> >

> mesa is a more complicated endeavor as it has circular dependencies with
> mesa-libGL-devel and xorg-x11-server. But it sounds like you are pulling in
> Fedora 19 x11 library artifacts instead of building a clean CentOS x11 stack.
>
> To rewind a bit, you basically use fedora 19 repos to build a minimal set of
> CentOS 7 ppc rpms. Then you turn off the Fedora 19 repos and attempt to
> build CentOS 7 ppc using only this minimal set of rpms. This leads to needing
> to unwind many painful circular dependencies but results in a much cleaner
> build with no Fedora library artifacts.
>
> Here is the minimal set of CentOS 7.0.1406 ppc rpms I built with Fedora 19
> backing
>
> http://pastebin.centos.org/39881/

Hi James,

Thanks for the clarifications!

Getting the RPM macro environment right fixed the glibc build, and the glibc64 technique got me over the first hurdle with gcc.  I did have to bypass building the gcc-go compiler (actually libgo) due to compile errors that appear to be related to context handling.  Unimportant for my use-case, but I'm not sure how one would ever build the unmodified gcc SRPM on ppc.

Rebuilding the x11 stack fixed the Mesa build.

There were some %file conflicts with manpages for certain ppc64  vs. ppc RPMS (nss, krb5, pam, pango, gtk2).  I suspect that there's a "proper" way to deal with this in multilib environments; I took a field-expedient approach of separating the offending files out into a subpackage in the ppc build that then doesn't get pulled in to my yum install transaction.

Again, thanks much for all your help!

Regards,

-Bryson

 This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and any attachments.