[CentOS-devel] CentOS Upgrade Tool

Trevor Hemsley trevor.hemsley at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 6 14:31:06 UTC 2016

On 06/01/16 13:02, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 06/01/16 11:53, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
>> Please note THIS TOOL IS BROKEN and should NOT be used.
>>
> can we quantify this a bit ?

The issues have been discussed before but there are many critical
packages in CentOS 6 that are already at a higher version than the
equivalent ones in CentOS 7. These do not get upgraded and because they
do not, various little things like yum itself do not work at all but
bail out with missing libs, missing symbols etc. Hughesjr put out a call
on the mailing list for volunteers to help fix it but the silence has
been deafening and no work has been done.

Last time I looked a sample of the packages concerned were openldap*,
nss* and several others that are used by just about everything. Any
attempt to use the tool on a CentOS 6.6/6.7 and maybe 6.5 system is
pretty much doomed to fail and even if the upgrade is "successful" it's
likely the system will either refuse to boot or that many things will
just not run afterwards.

There is (was?) also a bug in grubby that failed to deal with grub
legacy on el7 so any future kernel updates added a new kernel to the
system that would not boot.

Trevor