[CentOS-devel] Questions regarding SCLo rpms

Dominic Cleal dominic at cleal.org
Thu Jan 28 08:28:11 UTC 2016

On 28/01/16 03:59, BC wrote:
> What is the meaning of the prepended "rh-" in some of the scl RPM names?
> At first I thought they were rebuilt from official upstream RHEL rpms,
> but it appears non "rh-" prepended ones are, too.

The reason is historical - early software collections issued by Red Hat
under RHSCL were not prefixed and the "rh-" prefix was added to later
collections.

> Which leads me to wondering who is the original upstream for packages in
> the sclo/x86_64/{sclo,rh} directories? Is the rh directory that which
> contains RPMs blessed by RH (as in, they provide support for) but which
> exists to centos users as a rebuild of the official RHEL RPMs as all the
> base packages generally are?

Yes, that's right.  Everything in the "rh" directory is an RHSCL
rebuild, while the upstream for everything in the "sclo" directory is
the CentOS SCLorg SIG (https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo).

--
Dominic Cleal
dominic at cleal.org