[CentOS-devel] Rebuilding RDO for ppc64le

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 11 10:03:28 UTC 2016

> On 11/07/16 09:15, Xiandong Meng wrote:
>> In RDO Austin BOF meeting, I have proposed to rebuild RDO packages for
>> ppc64le. And a few discussions have been carried over since then. Now
>> with the power builders up and running
>> on cbs (http://cbs.centos.org/koji/hosts), I'd like to write to the
>> mailinglist for more broad discussing.
>>
>> The goal is to rebuild RDO packages for ppc64le in CBS. And we will
>> start with Mitaka release as it is a recent stable release. And one of
>> the idea was to
>>
>> 1. create a new tag (cloud7-openstack-mitaka-candidate-ppc64le?)
>
> It depends on the Cloud SIG and specifically RDO people here : either
> they want to take responsability of altarch builds for mitaka, and so
> that means that if it fails for that specific arch, it will fail the
> whole task (and so also x86_64), or as you mention, using a different
> tag, so that task are separate (and so one needs to submit against that
> tag too).
> That seems the more common option for now, especially when starting to
> build for a new arch.

Yes, among criteria we set for graduating from altarch, we need to
have a running CI.
So now, we want to have separate tags like we did for aarch64.

>> 2. import all 'noarch' builds from cloud7-openstack-mitaka-* tags
>> 3. send all required packages to the builder
>
> Ideally those would be the same SRPMs as for x86_64. If specific patches
> would need to be added, those would need to be included in upstream
> SRPMs too.

If you have specific patches, we'll include them in src.rpm through
RDO packaging workflow.

>> 4. test resulting packages for installation & function validation (via
>> ci pipeline?)
>
> That would be difficult, as there is no ppc64/ppc64le hardware in CI at
> the moment

I think we should separate CI discussion from this one. Manual testing
is ok for an altarch, but this should be transitional step.
Our goal is to graduate altarch, and CI is a hard requirement for that.

We should not block on this point.

>> 5. import/merge all of them to propose cloud7-openstack-* tag
>>
>> I think we need to proceed with this work without touching x86 tags
>> until it is ready for merge.  I have experience building the packages
>> with local mock build environment,
>> but i may need help to initiate that build work in CBS. Any
>> comments/suggestions are welcome.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Alex Meng<mailto:mengxiandong at gmail.com>
>> mengxiandong at gmail.com <mailto:mengxiandong at gmail.com>