[CentOS-devel] Question about authoritative SIG for specific pkg[s] (wrt ConfigMgmt SIG)

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 12 14:36:36 UTC 2016

> I  just had a look at CBS and was wondering how one SIG (so not
> ConfigMgmt SIG specific, but let's use that as an example) can interact
> with other SIGs.
>
> One example is Ansible : it seems some other SIGs are relying on it and
> so actually the ConfigMgmgt SIG isn't able to build it as it's already
> built with the same ENVR but in a different target/tag :
> https://cbs.centos.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=1947
>
> What would be the option for this ?
> Actually the direct option is for the ConfigMgmt SIG to just tag that
> build (for example for ansible-2.1.0.0-1.el7) so that it will appear in
> the correct repositories, but I'm wondering if such SIG wouldn't have to
> be considered "authoritative" and so having to discuss/bump/build new
> releases, and then other SIGs can just consume/tag a specific build/ENVR
> they want in their own repositories.
>
> --
> Fabian Arrotin
> The CentOS Project | http://www.centos.org
> gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab

Concerning Cloud SIG, we're relying on two packages that are Cfg Mgmt
SIG-related:
* Puppet: puppet is quite critical for us, as it's the heart of our
installers (packstack, TripleO),
critical component for our CI and also upstream CI.
We also had to patch Puppet3 default for buggy Puppet behaviours (like
not supporting provides), I co-maintain the Fedora package with the
help of Red Hat puppet experts.
Our puppet package is mere rebuild of Fedora Rawhide (with a decent
amount of CI/testing before being shipped)
* Ansible: It's more and more used in our infrastructure, WeiRDO our
CI swiss-knife relies on it. We're currently not shipping it but we'll
likely have too.

I don't mind handing puppet packaging to Cfg Mgmt as authoritative
source, nor Ansible, I think we can manage to work together.
What worries me is that CfgMgmt SIG used to think about relying on
Software Collections, that we're not ready to use in the Cloud SIG.

Regards,
H.