[CentOS-devel] Incorrect default governor on CentOS ppc64el builds

Adi Gangidi adi.gangidi at rackspace.com
Thu Jul 14 01:23:20 UTC 2016

Hello nice people on CentOS list,

?Default governor on CentOS 7 ppc64le OS bootup is "conservative" . This has about 20% effect on benchmark numbers, if you don't change the governor to ondemand manually (for specific benchmarks). I tested this on our barreleye power 8 server.

This even though kernel config is set for "ondemand" as default governor:

[root at Barreleye-1 ~]# cat /boot/config-3.10.0-327.el7.ppc64le | grep -i ondemand
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y

I filed a bug on this with details and am posting here for info and also to accelerate some response on the bug:
https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=11094

Best
Adi Gangidi
Rackspace