[CentOS-devel] How to build maven packages in CBS?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jun 21 12:21:32 UTC 2016

On 06/20/2016 06:35 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 06/20/2016 04:13 PM, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
>>>>
>>> Correct .. although there is an SCL version of maven out there.  No idea
>>> how it works in cbs though.
>> Maven in SCL (maven30, rh-maven33) is packaged as traditional RPMs.
>> These packages are built the same way as any ordinary CentOS or SCL
>> package (with build/chain-build).
>>
> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=11073 support maven builds

I'll let others discuss this here, but I don't like doing it that way
because it makes it very hard to reproduce outside CBS.

You end up with packages that other people have no idea the packages
that are required to get a build or source code required to get the
packages if packages are even used.

If we can create a mechanism where others can reproduce this
buildroot/area external to our koji instance and provide all the
necessary documentation so it can also be easily reproduced by the
community, then I could likely be convinced.

IMHO, one of the most important things we do as a community distribution
is produce the ability to do these things for the community as well.

But, I am sure I can be convinced this is a good idea.

What does Fedora do?