[CentOS-devel] libmp (gmp) conflicts

Jim Perrin

jperrin at centos.org
Thu Jun 2 19:11:31 UTC 2016

On 06/02/2016 03:57 AM, Antonio Trande wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> gmp-4.3.1-10.el6 provides these libraries:
>
> libgmp.so.3 -> libgmp.so.3.5.0
> libgmp.so.3.5.0
> libgmpxx.so.4 -> libgmpxx.so.4.1.0
> libgmpxx.so.4.1.0
> libmp.so.3 -> libmp.so.3.1.14
> libmp.so.3.1.14
>
> 'libmp.so' from 'gmp' conflicts with same library provided by 'mp'
> package that I wish to include on Epel6 repositories.
>
> Is it reasonable for you splitting off libmp.so from 'gmp' in a
> sub-package ?

I'd add to what wolfy stated by pointing out that we're not the only
'EL' out there. If we made this change, it would still be incompatible
with EPEL, because EPEL builds against RHEL, not CentOS. This would
introduce incompatibilities between Scientific Linux, RHEL, CentOS and
any of the other variant builds out there.

Wolfy is correct. Your best course of action is to submit this as a bug
via redhat's bugzilla.

--
Jim Perrin