[CentOS-devel] docker and docker-latest packages on CentOS Virt SIG

Lokesh Mandvekar

lsm5 at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 10 16:09:38 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 10:28:38AM -0400, Jason Brooks wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Lokesh Mandvekar
> <lsm5 at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> >> It is the latest supported docker.  :^)  I am not sure if we will ever ship
> >> docker-1.11.  Has a lot of warts.
> >> Most of its fixes are going into docker-1.12.
> >>
> >> I agree docker and docker-latest is not the best solution, and sadly we are
> >> learning on the fly.
> >
> > Resuming this thread so I get some direction to proceed with.
> >
> > So, docker in Virt SIG used to be Fedora rpms recompiled. But, the
> > requirement for multi-docker installation on RHEL made us feel the need to
> > try it out on Virt SIG as well.
> >
> > The RH patchset will be the same for both Fedora and RHEL, just that RHEL
> > could have approaches (like docker and docker-latest)
> > Fedora would never agree to.
> >
> > I'd like to zero in on a single approach moving forward.
> >
> > So, pick one. CentOS Virt SIG docker will have:
> >
> > 1. Fedora rpm rebuilt
> > OR
> > 2. RHEL rpms (docker + docker-latest) rebuilt (consider it a preview or
> > something before official release)
> > OR
> > 3. Something else, maybe both Fedora and RHEL versions clearly separated by
> > koji tags
>
> If there's a way to get access to what will be in CentOS Extras before
> it arrives there, that'd be helpful for testing.
>
> If Fedora has a newer version of docker than what's in CentOS Extras,
> then that'd be helpful as well. 1.11 is in rawhide now, it'd be cool
> to have that available, for instance.
>
> If the CBS doesn't offer something newer than what's in Extras, then
> I'd just choose what's in Extras.

I could potentially build both upcoming RHEL and Fedora rpms for Virt.

We could have koji tag separation like:

virt7-docker-rhel-*
virt7-docker-fedora-*

and maybe then deprecate the virt7-docker-common-* in favor of the two
above?? That could ensure clear separation between the 2 versions.

Enabling both rhel and fedora repos and then upgrading docker from the fedora
repo with a docker-latest pre-installed can and will give you nightmares, but as
a close friend always says, "We'll cross that bridge..."

wdyt?

--
Lokesh
Freenode: lsm5