[CentOS-devel] How to build maven packages in CBS?

Rich Megginson

rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Jun 23 14:17:53 UTC 2016

On 06/23/2016 03:26 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Matthias Runge
> <mrunge at matthias-runge.de> wrote:

>>> I think if we do that for CBS, it will have to be done that way, for exactly
>>> the reasons you mention.  Would you add that as a comment to the bug, or
>>> would you mind if I did? https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=11073
>>>
>> Yes, I would like a documented way to enable everyone to create
>> comparable builds, but not necessarily bit-identical builds. For
>> identical builds, one would have to make sure, the time, buildhost etc.
>> are always the same.
> This takes infrastructure to host and manage the various Maven built
> dependencies, much like Python, modules from pypi.org and likeperl
> modules from CPAN. I can warn you right now that this adds up to a lot
> of work. JPackage used to try to do this, but the dependency trees got
> out of hand and incompatible with built-in RHEL and thus CentOS or
> Scientific Linux components very quickly. Even the packaginf of the
> Sun published Java RPM's, for those who required the old Sun Java
> specifically, became a licensing and incompatible packaging adventure.

>> Fedora forbids pre-built binary objects in their packages (with a very
>> few exceptions).
> As does RHEL, in general,

RHEL core, yes, afaik.  However, the Elasticsearch that Red Hat
distributes with packages such as OpenShift is built with the Maven/MEAD
process.

> and as should CentOS.  It's critical to open
> source and free software distribution that the code, *including the
> build tools*, be publicly available. Not all vendors have been good
> about this, keeping some of the build tools as "secret sauce".

I completely agree.

Is there some way we could provide build artifacts, or whatever it is
that parties outside of CBS will need to do their own maven builds,
without providing a complete JPackage style repository?