[CentOS-devel] Update on status of CentOS Container Pipeline

Wed Jun 29 14:14:56 UTC 2016
Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com>

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 1:15 AM, Mohammed Ahmed <moahmed at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is awesome.
>> Thank you for all the hard work you, and everyone involved, has put into
>> this.
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Bamacharan Kundu <bamachrn at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> > Update on recent work done for the CentOS Container Pipeline.
>> >
>> > - We went through building the openshift origin images in Container
>> > Pipeline
>> > and published them to registry.centos.org successfully. We faced many
>> > issues
>> > with the upstream dockerfiles and moved to rpm based dockerfiles for
>> > building the images.
>> >
>> > - We have got almost all the monitoring pieces set up in production, now
>> > if
>> > there is any change in the system (i.e. openshift is down, jenkins is
>> > not
>> > communicating, or other changes) we get an alert notifying the change in
>> > the
>> > system.
>> >
>> > - We added multiple cron jobs for monitoring and communicating with
>> > zabix to
>> > get notifications on changes in system level parameters.
>> >
>> > -We got test suite set up for pipeline. Now all the images built through
>> > pipeline, goes through a set of tests for ensuring the container is
>> > runnable. For now we are testing containers based on CentOS 7.
>> >
>> > - We got atomic scan set up. This checks the container for rpm update or
>> > any
>> > other system update required for the container image. For now this
>> > process
>> > only sends notification to the user, stating the changes required in
>> > container, but does not update the container.
>> >
>> > - We noticed that all the source repos do not want the Dockerfile to be
>> > built for building centos based images. (i.e. for openshift origin we
>> > built
>> > the dockerfiles with name Dockerfile.centos7). To get these type of
>> > repos
>> > built in the pipeline, we added one more parameter dockerfile-name to
>> > index.yml which allows user to provide name of the dockerfile to be
>> > built.
>> >
>> > -We saw we are bringing up multiple independent stages (like polling
>> > source
>> > repo, build, test, delivery, notification) together to work sequentially
>> > as
>> > well as scale rapidly. Keeping this in mind we came up with beanstalkd
>> > tubes
>> > for managing communication point between all the independent phases and
>> > synchronizing with necessary information provided through job details.
>> >
>> > -We got Atomic Registry built in registry.centos.org with all its
>> > dependent
>> > containers available in registry.c.o. Even though we got all the
> [...]

You caught me. :)
I like to secretly give myself congratulations and see if anyone notices.

But I really am delighted at how well the PaaS SIG is doing.  So many
people doing so many great things.  I built the rpms, yes. But the
infrastructure growing around it is amazing.