[CentOS-devel] getting to really minimal

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 20:42:02 UTC 2016

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 20/03/16 10:33, Sebastiaan Glazenborg wrote:
>> Would this help you?
>>
>> %packages --nocore --nobase
>> @core --nodefaults
>> cloud-init
>> -firewalld
>> -NetworkManager
>> -plymouth*
>> -kexec-tools
>> -tuned
>> %end
>>
>> That is what we use in building our own centos cloud images.
>> Anaconda installs very few packages.
>
> thanks, its a good place to start from - i might need to lose the
> cloud-init dep though, that pulls in quite a few additional bits.

Please be careful to specify the CentOS release the kickstart is for:
when posting them online. Some nice person coming along and finding
the message on Google and saying "Karanbir Singh uses this, he knows
what he's doing" and not realizing that this list is for CentOS 7 will
be very confused when they try it on CentOS 6, or several years from
now on CentOS 8.

If you're making small kickstart setups, may I also very strongly
recommend this in order to copy the *actual* kickstart file, instead
of the anaconda interpreted deductions about your setup stored in
/root/anaconda-ks.cfg ?

    %post --nochroot
    cp -a /tmp/ks.cfg /mnt/sysimage/root/ks.cfg || echo "Failed to
copy /tmp/ks.cfg"
    %end

It's been invaluable to my kickstart setups. It saves me a great deal
of confusion later trying to deduce which kickstart setup produced
what results, especially when trying to pick and choose lists of
packages.