[CentOS-devel] centos git web front-end

Phil Wyett philwyett at irregulars-engineering.com
Thu Mar 24 09:11:48 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-03-24 at 08:42 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 24/03/16 08:39, Phil Wyett wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > What if any plans are in the pipeline for improving the web front-end of
> > git.centos.org?
> >
> > Current issues:
> >
> > * Slow.
> >
> > * No search as page claims:
> >
> >   none of your repositories are configured for Lucene indexing
> >
> > * Clicking on the 'repositories' link, hangs firefox because of how
> >   many entries are being listed by default. Could this be a
> >   static page with alphanumeric index that a user can click on depending
> >   on first character of package they wish to find?
>
> unfortunately, there isnt much else that offers us the capabilities we
> need. I've been looking these last few weeks for alternatives and they
> all come up short.
>
> but there are plans to spend a bit of time and see what / where we might
> be able to make improvements.
>
> the lucene index would come into play if you wanted to search in the
> actual git objects, is that what you are looking for ?
>
> regards

Hi,

For most scenarios, I would just pull a complete package repo. My main
use of the web interface is often research and the quick viewing of a
specific file e.g. looking at spec files for changes and how I may clean
up the way I do things / keep to current convention.

For now I will just bypass the navigation and just do:

https://git.centos.org/summary/!!!!!!rpms!<package_name_I_want>.git

to view a specific repos.

Regards

Phil