[CentOS-devel] [RFE] subscription-manager in CentOS6

Baptiste Agasse

baptiste.agasse at lyra-network.com
Wed Mar 9 09:21:14 UTC 2016

Hi,

I tried to speak about this to Johnny at the end of the last CentOS Dojo in Brussels, but he have to go.

There is any chance that you to include subscription-manager in CentOS 6 ?

We use foreman/katello, all work out of the box for centos 7 but it's not easy to manage additional installation repos in foreman/katello to manage that in one generic kickstart template for our deployments (multiple DCs, with multiple repos mirrors per locations...).

As i see in the git repo of CentOS 7 [1], there is only few changes, like debranding. I see that redhat provides SRPMS for subscription-manager as well for RHEL6 [2] and versions of subscription-manager are are not so far from each other:

RHEL 7 / CentOS 7 : subscription-manager 1.15.9
RHEL 6            : subscription-manager 1.14.10

I didn't take a look deeper at this time, but if there is any chance that you decide to include subscription-manager in CentOS 6 base repo and installation tree like in CentOS 7, i can take a look deeper to see if patches that are made for C7 are compatible with RHEL 6 subscription manager, and if not, backport them to c6.

Have a nice day.

Regards.

[2] ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/os/SRPMS/

--
Baptiste