[CentOS-devel] PXE boot images

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:48:06 UTC 2016

On 11 May 2016 at 11:04, Jeff White <jeff.white at wsu.edu> wrote:
> I have a number of systems which PXE boot and mount and NFS-based root.
> These boot using the files provided here:
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7.2.1511/os/x86_64/images/pxeboot/
>
> However, these seem to contain an old kernel (3.10.0-327.el7.x86_64) instead
> of any later one released as part of CentOS 7. Two questions:
>
> 1. Are new pxeboot images going to be released?

I believe the pxeboot images are tied to anaconda and the installer.
As such, they don't get rebuilt until the next major release is done.
They are not meant for general NFS based root images but are
intimately tied to the installer.

> 2. If not, how can new ones be created? Can whoever made those images share
> the dracut configuration used to build them?

It looks to be done in the lorax tool
/usr/share/lorax/pxe-live/pxe-config.tmpl [thanks to Dennis Gilmore
for pointing me to that.]

> --
> Jeff White
> HPC Systems Engineer