[CentOS-devel] Link to Red Hat customer portal in yum error message

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu May 26 12:57:01 UTC 2016

On 05/26/2016 07:48 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 05/26/2016 07:42 AM, Jitse Klomp wrote:

>>> We have not removed that from yum yet because we don't yet have a better
>>> place to point it too .. and neither the message OR the linked page
>>> specifically say you are running Red Hat Enterprise Linux, etc.
>>>
>>> The linked page is also relevant (ie, it is what you need to do to fix
>>> the problem).
>>>
>>> So, we have left that link in on purpose.
>>
>> It is relevant but only accessible to Red Hat customers. I think it's a
>> bit strange to link to 'closed' documentation from an open project like
>> CentOS but that's just a matter of taste, I guess.
>>
>>> I could be persuaded to change it, but I don't that is specifically
>>> required for branding reasons.
>>>
>>> Regardless .. the Red Hat support part should be removed .. so I will
>>> look at that and try to find a fix.
>>
>> Great. Is there a way I can help?
>>
>> Thanks for all the hard work!
>
> I created this:
>
> https://wiki.centos.org/yum-404-error
>
> I will look to create a yum patch .. then we can decide if it should out
> before the next update or wait.

Remember that the overarching goal of CentOS is to ONLY modify RHEL
source code in the base OS when absolutely necessary.

We want to provide an overall look and feel that is CentOS .. AND .. we
obviously want to meet the 'Trademark' requirements to redistribute
binaries made from the soruce code .. but other than that, we DO NOT
WANT to make changes to the source as an overarching goal.

So, we look long and hard at every edit .. and try NOT to make it unless
absolutely necessary.  This is especially true if we are modifying a NEW
package.  In the case of yum, we are already making other changes, so it
makes sense to make this one.  If this were a package that we were not
already changing, we may or may not have changed it.

Thanks,
Johnny HUghes