[CentOS-devel] [RFC] Operational tools SIG (was logging and monitoring...)

Matthias Runge

mrunge at matthias-runge.de
Fri May 13 07:12:14 UTC 2016

Hello,

I would like to re-iterate my interest in having a SIG in CentOS
to provide all kinds of tools for operators providing
infrastructure by using CentOS.

The scope should be more than just simply packaging applications.
Another part should be to provide puppet manifests or ansible playbooks
to get things quicker up and running.

Ideally, I would start with providing something like
* elsasticsearch/fluentd/kibana for centralised logging
* collectd/graphite/grafana for performance monitoring
* sensu/uchiwa for availability monitoring

We have already seen around 10 persons interested in helping, testing,
trying out and providing feedback.

For communcations etc. I would propose to start small, and to share
already existent CentOS channels (email-lists, irc-channel). This
decision should be revisited, once amount of SIG related communication
becomes annoying in general channels.

Questions? Thoughts? Additions?

Best,
Matthias