[CentOS-devel] Alternative Architecture SIG - s390x?

James O'Connor

jpoc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri May 6 20:35:02 UTC 2016

> On May 5, 2016, at 4:43 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>
> On 05/05/16 19:29, Brian Schonecker wrote:
>> I have access to IBM z12 and z13 hardware.  Currently, I'm running RHEL6
>> and RHEL7 for s390x architecture.
>>
>> Is is possible for me to offer compile resources for the alternate
>> architecture of s390x?  I've already recompiled many packages (EPEL for
>> example) with great success on s390x.
>
> perhaps. we'd need to workout what this means and how we might do the
> bootstraps etc. Certainly worth looking into.

I would be willing to help with a clean s390x/s390 port from Fedora 19 to RHEL7. I still have many of the steps fresh in my mind from the ppc64le/ppc64/ppc ports.

>> It is a requirement of the CentOS community that the hardware be 'owned'
>> by the CentOS community?  It is not possible for me to make the hardware
>> available to outside persons.
>>

> if we do this, then there needs to be some good enough assurance that
> the resources are going to be around for a sustained period of time.
> Otherwise we end up delivering an onramp to a dead end, and thats not nice.

I don’t have any hardware to offer up. For true RHEL7 s390x parity we would need several z196 VMs.

%ifarch s390 s390x
%if 0%{?rhel} >= 7
   --with-arch=z196 --with-tune=zEC12 --enable-decimal-float \
%else

https://git.centos.org/blob/rpms!gcc.git/b4bb7ab1c74f8e1e5dc0849d4c2148b16074307d/SPECS!gcc.spec#L1263

-James